Monday, February 18, 2008

Working like a Dog

Hello pung yaus, this lesson is for all of you out there who is working for the man! (or woman)

Gee lately I've been flat out at work - my day comprises of keeping other people happy (doctors, nurses, relatives, patients, relatives etc. How did our lives become this? We used to be nomadic barbarians who hunted and gathered, living our lives in freedom. But now we've evolved into some office sitting, coffee sipping, computer typing, telephone answering, photocopying, paperworking people!!

There is one good thing about this daily repetitious working lifestyle - "repetition" will make it easier for us to learn the cantonese words that describe our jobs! Sorry thats the only positive thing I can think of with respect to the repetitive nature of our occupations - unless your saving the world (e.g. you're working towards a cure for cancer and you've almost got it).

So here are today's words:
Working like a dog = jou do ho si ge jek gou a!!!
Boss, what are you talking about? = lau ban / lau xay, nei gong mut ye a?
I don't like Mondays = bai yut (then shake head and sigh) - all about attitude here :)
I looooooooove Fridays = bai m a!!! (YAY! and have a huge grin :)
I want to go home = ngo seung faan 'ook kei' (home)
I feel sick = ngo yau beng (I am sick)
I need a beer = ngo seung yum b chau
I need alcohol = ngo seung yum chau (hong chau = red wine, baak jau = white wine)
I NEEEED a coffee = ngo SUI YIEW yum ka fe a!
Hospital = yi yuen
Crazy Patient = beng yun
Crazy Relatives (of patients) = beng yun ge 'ook kei yun' (family)
Physiotherapist = mut li che liu si
Nurse = woo si
Pharmacist = yerk si
Computer = diin noow
Telephone = diin wa
Receptionist = bei shoo
I hope I win the lottery = ngo hei mong ngo wooi jong 'look hap choi' (lottery) la!
See you tomorrow = teng yut kin
Bye Bye = 'joi kin' or 'bai bai'

5 comments:

ninja0 said...

Don't worry phil, you're still a barbarian.

I see you're studying hard. But repetition can make you crazy!

Anyway, good luck. You're doing pretty good so far!

jenny said...

i c ur studyin hard phil,goodluck keep up wif the conversation:)

Tuey said...

Good stuff phil.

You can track how many visitors you have and where do they come from visiting this site:

www.google.com/analytics/

u need to copy and paste the code into the html.
in your blog go to customise, then click on the layout tab and then click on edit html.

Paste the code where google says to put it.


Any questions then email me.

Tuey

Tuey said...

how come your not updating your blog anymore?

Ryou 涼 said...

Hi Phil,

Just found your blog! I just started a blog about my Cantonese learning journey (I am a complete beginner) so perhaps if you have time, you can look at my blog and my attempts at using Cantonese, simple as they may be haha! I will definitely come back to your blog - I like your word list above (especially the 'I need coffee' phrase... very useful!) Thanks!