Friday, February 15, 2008

Beef Noodle Soup - Pho

Leng lui, leng chays - dim a?

Before we get started on new words, I just want to respond to the comment that "conversation is the best way to learn cantonese (thanks Ninja ba po!)"

I totally agree but add that repetition is important so as you are practicing the language you will need to write down the words you learn - and what better way than via alphabetical pinyin - if anyone can think of a better way of recording new words then I am definitely open to suggestions!

Now onto today's topic: eating pho (beef noodle soup) - one of my favourite past times! So what words would I need to know when eating out somewhere in Hong Kong?

1. Ngo siew yiew yum kafe m goi? I need a coffee please
2. Yut gor pho m goi? One bowl of pho please
3. Li gor hou sik! This is delicious
4. Ngo bow! I am full
5. Ngo yi ga hoi sum! I am happy (content) now!

Other useful words:
ping go jup = apple juice
chang jup = orange juice
cha = tea
b chau = beer
chau = wine
kafe = coffee

Choi kin my pung yaus (friends)!

3 comments:

Tuey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tuey said...

Hey Bitch!

Nice Blog. How do you say very nice biiiaatch in Cantonese?

I got a blog too man:
Speed of Implementation Blog
http://speedofimplementation.blogspot.com

I check out your site every week.

Tuey

jenny said...

cool phil,its a nice way to learn cantonese.i wil check ur site more often:)